Monday, November 24, 2008

Major Milestone - Abby Stands Up for First Time!!!!!




I've been anxiously waiting to get this picture from our physical therapist so this post could be made! Last Thursday (Nov. 20th) Abby was able to stand up for the first time in her life! It was an amazing moment for me as a mommy to see my baby finally get to stand up. Of course it was with the help of braces since her legs and hips are so weak, but this is only the beginning! I don't think we've ever shared this on our blog, but when we got Abby at 17 months old, she had never been allowed to stand or crawl. She had spent her entire life laying on her stomach and right side, or sitting on her foster mother's lap. She was not able to sit up on her own and her neck muscles were not even stable. By the time we left China, Abby was sitting up on her own and even wanting to move around and crawl. That took a little time, but since her 3 surgeries, she is crawling all over the place.

Our little miracle continues to amaze us. We have been praying over her left leg every day and believing God to heal whatever damage has been done. During her physical therapy while Abby was standing up, both therapists were shocked to feel muscle movement in her left hip. She was using those muscles to balance herself! One of them called me over to feel it for myself and sure enough those muscles were contracting and moving around. This was something none of us really expected since we have been told by several doctors that her left leg is just "hopeless." In the physical therapists words, "We have a much better situation with Abby than I thought we had."

5 comments:

Demetrius and Amy said...

Its so amazing to see all God is doing for Abby. You guys are doing great. I know you are so proud of her.

Anonymous said...

PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go, Abby, go!

Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, that last message was mine.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Abby,

My precious little granddaughter, thank you for the wonderful Mexican. I enjoyed it so much and grandma Sonja did too. One day I'll be brave enough for Chinese food, but for now we'll stick with south of the border chow.
We love you soooo---- much!

Paw Freddy & Maw Maw Sonja

Anonymous said...

We are praising the Lord for this wonderful news! I know your hearts are overjoyed too!
Squeak, Squeak
(and lots of love),
Peppi