Tuesday, April 7, 2009

HORSE THERAPY


Eating breakfast before a hard day of work with my new horse.



At the Buckaroo Barn being evaluated by Ms Krystie before I saddle up.



This helps her determine which horse I should ride. Each horse has a different gait that helps different muscles in the body. Horse therapy (hippotherapy) can improve muscle function and balance in all sorts of medical conditions, including spina bifida, which is what I was born with.


And here is Traveler, my new buddy and therapist.


I got scared so Ms Krystie let me play with her cell phone and that made it all better.



A horse's gait is the only thing that actually mimics the gait of a human being. So this forces me to use the same muscles and improve my balance as if I were walking.


Okay, now I'm really having fun.




We played a few little games that helped me use some new muscles I have never used before. Here I am taking a plastic ring and trying to put it on a pole while Traveler is walking. I have to lean over to reach the pole but still hold myself up.


And now Ms Krystie puts me on Traveler backwards so I can work even more new muscles.



Daddy helps by throwing a colorful ball to me and I have to lean over to catch it but not fall off Traveler while I'm doing it.


By the time my therapy session was over, I was totally in love with Traveler.



I think I'll give him some sugar.



And he thinks he'll give me some sugar back:0)



Thank you, Jesus, for a successful day!













3 comments:

KarenHasTwins said...

I have a former student who did her senior project on hippotherapy. She was the MS High School Rodeo Queen for 2007, and she worked with an 11-year-old who was paralyzed. It was an excellent project, and I think that's a really fun form of therapy.

Anonymous said...

(Facebook Comment)



Go Abby! You can do it!

Trisha Hall

Aunt Carla said...

Pretty neat! Looks like Abby really enjoyed herself.