Monday, September 8, 2008

It's Booger-Pickin' Day!

If you're squeamish at heart, this post is probably not for you. But if you're a mama, then you'll totally understand!

Yesterday morning we went down to eat at the breakfast bar here at the White Swan Hotel and Abby and I were sitting at the table while Michael fixed breakfast. Lots of people were walking by smiling at Abby and speaking to her. One time when she turned her head back, I noticed a big ole' green bugger way back in her nostril.

Immediately my mind went back years ago to a scene with one of my great (and sweet) friends, Melinda Bowman. She had picked a bugger out of one of her kids' noses with her bare finger and I was just so grossed out and said, "Eeewwwwwwww! How can you stand to do that?" Melinda just rolled her eyes at me and said, "Jawanna, you just wait!" Well, Mellie, the time has finally come!

I was sitting there trying to figure out how on earth I was gonna get that thing out. Abby's nostrils are too small to use a hanky, and it wasn't the kind you can suck out with one of those nose bulbs. So, I did the only thing left to do. I stuck my pinkie fingernail up her nose and got ahold of that bugger and pulled it out. That thing was so big and I wigged out and started slinging my hand trying to get it off and it flew under the table. I kept looking down at it thinking "how on earth did that come out of her nose?!"

But my booger scene finally morphed into one of those mommy moments and I suddenly felt very proud that I had sat in a 5 Star restaurant and picked my baby's nose right in front of everybody. And very successfully, I might add. I took a picture of it but Michael says for Abby's sake I can't post it to the blog:0)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JAWANNA!!!! You are the most hilarious thing!!! I wish I could have been a fly on the wall watching that scene! I just can't imagine you slinging it off your finger. HA!! Welcome to Mommyhood! Have you licked your hand to wet down her hair yet? or trimmed her fingernails with your own teeth? I love you! You made my day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Peppi, all of Mobile, AL has been alerted to your latest adventure & accomplishment!It may even be in the morning's Press Register!!! Vivian & I just had to log on after receiving Peppi's email alert and I'm still laughing!!! WAY TO GO, Jawanna!

Your posts are so colorful, you'd make a great writer!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Jawanna, that is the funnies story I have ever heard. 5 star restaurant and all! You have definately been submurged into motherhood. ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!!!!

Melinda said...

Way to go, Jana! I knew you had it in ya! You go girl! I'm so proud to have inspired the great "Booger Snatch" right in the middle of a Chinese 5-star restaurant. You've made mamas across the globe proud! (I hope you can tell I'm grinning ear to ear.) You're a hoot! Only wish I could have been there. Loved the story. Can't wait to see y'all. Love you. Mellie